- The LoHud Wrestling Blog - http://wrestling.lohudblogs.com -
All set for a big weekend
Posted By Vincent Mercogliano On January 25, 2013 @ 4:10 pm In Uncategorized | Comments Disabled
Now that we’ve had a look at the seeds for both the Super 16 at Yonkers HS  and the Rockland County Championships at Tappan Zee HS , all that’s left to do is wrestle. I’ve been going back and forth between the two tourneys for the past couple of years, so after covering the RCCs last season, I’ll be at the Super 16 tomorrow. But not to worry Rockland fans; Adam Berger will be at the RCCs to cover all of the action. Follow me on Twitter @vzmercogliano  for live updates from Yonkers, and follow Adam @LoHudBerger  for live updates from TZ. I’ll update here with results as often as I can.
Here are a few quick thoughts after looking through the seedings for each tourney:
• With Nanuet’s Anthony Calvano at 120, that makes that weight class the most intriguing at the RCCs. Calvano received the top seed, so Pearl River’s John Muldoon and North Rockland’s Blaise Benderoth are lined up to meet in the semis. Whoever comes out on top would then likely have to see Calvano in the final, so we have a couple of great matches to look forward to. Quick recent history between the fearsome threesome: Calvano beat Muldoon in OT in a recent dual meet, while Muldoon beat Benderoth 7-3 early in the season. That was the match in which Benderoth suffered the concussion that kept him out for a few weeks.
• There has been some movement in the upper weights at the RCCs which will make things interesting at 182 and 195. TZ’s Billy Madigan and South’s Austin Maurer have been at 195 for most of the season, but will be at 182 for this tourney. Maurer’s teammate Paul Okeke has spent the entire season at 220, but will wrestle at 195 for the RCCs. These guys will probably have go back to their normal weights for sectionals, but are better positioned to win county championships by dropping down. Goes to show you that the county championships are a big deal in Rockland.
• The Super 16 is missing a lot of big names, which I’ll have more on in tomorrow’s notebook. It’s still going to be a very interesting tourney, but the Super 16 and RCCs seem to be trending in different directions. While some of the best teams from Westchester will be at Yonkers HS, such as Yorktown and reigning D1 section champ Fox Lane, but Tom Grippi isn’t wrestling for the Foxes, and Jimmy Kaishian, Joe Mastro, Steven Sabella and David Varian will all be out for the Huskers. The main reason is the point limitation that’s placed on wrestlers. No wrestler can accumulate more 20 points (tourneys count as two and duals are one) before divisionals.
• With all of that being said, there will still be plenty of big matches at the Super 16. The Foxes are sending everyone but the older Grippi, and it’s worth noting that Ben Ettlinger is at 132. Looks like that’s where he’ll be for sectionals, which should put him right in the section title mix along with North Rockland’s Jake DiMarsico and Brewster’s Liam Erickson; both of whom he has wins over this season. Kaishian could be in contention as well if he ends up at 132.
• With Ardsley’s Drew Longo in the tourney, he’s lined up to see Sleepy Hollow’s Edwin Jimenez in the final at 138 in what could be a neat D1-D2 matchup. Longo beat him in a close match earlier this season. A couple of other potential finals matches I’m anxious to see include Fox Lane’s Matt Grippi and Byram Hills’ Jon Errico at 106 (Grippi beat Errico 6-4 at the Shoreline ) and Mahopac’s Aaron Gallagher and Sleepy Hollow’s Adam Hofling at 170.
Article printed from The LoHud Wrestling Blog: http://wrestling.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://wrestling.lohudblogs.com/2013/01/25/all-set-for-a-big-weekend/
URLs in this post:
 Super 16 at Yonkers HS: http://wrestling.lohudblogs.com/2013/01/24/super-16-seeds-5/
 Rockland County Championships at Tappan Zee HS: http://wrestling.lohudblogs.com/2013/01/25/rockland-county-championship-seeds-4/
 @vzmercogliano: https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano
 @LoHudBerger: https://twitter.com/LoHudBerger
 Grippi beat Errico 6-4 at the Shoreline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBigcPpvSWI